Saturday, August 4, 2012

From New York to London to Bonners Ferry, Idaho

Rainbow over the Kootenai River in northern Idaho


     I took this picture from the back porch of our home the other day.  Five years ago, living in Central London, I couldn't have imagined I'd be living in a place like this.
     Moving from a small town in Utah to the tiny suburb of an even smaller town in Idaho was more of a change than I expected.  But I breathed in the clean, fresh, pine-scented, oxygen-rich air and began to see and feel the beauty all around.
     Life, here, is real.  It's not as complicated.  Everyone's just trying to live, to make ends meet, to take care of their family and neighbors and community.  There isn't time for society's trappings.  There isn't time to judge someone else; no one cares what you're wearing or how your hair looks or what kind of car you drive. 
     There are deer and grizzlies and eagles and mountain lions.  Last month, we saw a girl roll her car after swerving to miss a deer.  The car was totaled, but thankfully the girl was all right.  We pulled over to help.  So did stranger after stranger.  Everyone was concerned; people wanted to do anything to help.  No one knew this girl, but that didn't matter.  Sometimes crisis brings out the best in people.  
                                        Simple joy: people helping people

8 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely perfect!! Will you be available to host visitors sometime??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You started a blog! And that photo is absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. I'm very much an amateur at all of this. You're my inspiration...Can't wait for you guys to come up here! Love to you, Kirk, and Ingrid. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photograph. I believe you moved to Paradise! Love that you're blogging. What a great way to keep up with you and your family. It's been a long time since I've seen you...it seems like Westchester Ward was a lifetime ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading my blog is the sign of a true friend. :) How the years fly by! I hope all is going well in your life, Jan.

      Delete
  4. Great to read that community spirit alive and kicking in your town. I am amzed at the flora and fauna..beautiful. Love the picture...perfect bliss. We miss you tremendously in London. Thank you for your beautiful spirits. Omar and I truly love you all. I am breathing in the oxygen rich air with you.....hmmmmm. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We miss you too, Sharon, and often think of the wonderful work Omar is doing on his mission. You are a choice family and we love you.

    ReplyDelete