Wednesday, August 8, 2012

more mail



     When I first saw our tiny post office, I giggled aloud.  I felt like I'd been transported back to the 1940s (which, really, wasn't all that long ago!)  I didn't think there was anything like this left, but there are probably a lot if you look for them.  The first time I went there, the post-mistress connected my name with my face and each time thereafter, she knows exactly who I am.  She always checks to see if I've had any packages come in, without even asking my name.
     Living in an area without readily-available public transportation, I'm very dependent on our cars.  I had to post a check this morning, but both cars were being used.  After the initial feeling of frustration, I thought silly me!  I have a bicycle and two legs.  So I rode my bike to the post office.   It's really not that far.  It was lovely; the road was quiet. Only 2 cars passed by.  Downhill on the way, uphill on the way back.  So glad my bike has gears.

simple joys: alternative modes of transportation and people who know you by name 

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog, Adrienne. It adds a breath of fresh air into my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Linda! You guys are welcome in our home any time you need a real breather. :)

      Delete