Wednesday, August 22, 2012

cow paths and skunk paths


I once heard that the streets of Boston were created from the paths of cows.  An old postcard says "In Boston town, of old renown, the gentle cows the pathways made, which grew the streets that keep the stranger quite dismayed."  I read that this is a myth, although it wouldn't surprise me to find it's true, having once been one of those dismayed strangers myself.

When my husband and I first moved to Boston and became frustrated at the maze of streets and lack of consistent One Way signs, we asked for a map at the Motor Vehicle Dept., or equivalent.  The response we received was something like, "If you can't navigate this town, then you don't belong here!"


After a few occasions of going the wrong way down one-way streets, we did become familiar with the area and absolutely loved living there.  So when I saw this sign, I chuckled, imagining what a mess it would be to pattern a town after skunk paths!



simple joy: memory triggers

No comments:

Post a Comment